Thursday, August 21, 2008

surgery complications

Okay, so I had my surgery on 8/13/08 and I was a problem maker. My liver was covering my stomach so the surgeon couldn't work on my stomach from the normal 5 small incisions (its laparoscopic) he makes, and had to make 8 to be able to do it. I was in excessive pain, and after I was released (because I said I was fine, but I was on pain meds) I had to be readmitted for 3 days. It was pretty crazy. The pain eased and then i got nausea, but the surgeon (Dr. P) quickly fixed that. there were issues with sharing a thermostat and roasting at 90 degrees, getting sicker and having to be moved to a cool room, but then I was fine. So Sunday after I got home I slept most of the day away. Which I had to sleep on my back for an entire week. that gave me problems! And for 2 weeks I am only allowed liquids (mainly Gatorade), yogurt, and crackers. It is very hard to get in all the liquids I need. Especially drinking Gatorade all the time. I literally have to sip (you can only take small sips at a time) constantly. The first day I over did it and made myself so full that I couldn't do anything for a few hours. I have had a couple other weird things... pains and stuff at weird times. But all in all I am doing much better. I had my staples removed yesterday and that's when I was given the okay to sleep on my sides again. I have lost 14Lbs of water weight this first week. So that's pretty good. I can't wait to be on stage 2 in a week, which is adding mushy foods. The stomach is really sensitive right now, which is why I must ease my way back to a normal diet. And this is mainly what I have been having to deal with the past week. It is a pretty dramatic change. The first day after I was released I kinda freaked out. I was balling my eyes out about not being about to drink enough and not feeling normal and on and on. But I slowly but surely am feeling better and better about everything. I can't wait to see where I am 6 months from now.

No comments: